Last Updated on
How to meditate will require patience, practice, a clear and focused mind, a purpose, and more practice.
These 6 types of meditation are the most used and the most fundamental meditation that exists:
- focus movement meditation but you should only focus on one at a time.
Actually, there is no one correct way to meditate since one can stand, six, kneel, move, lay down, and so on.
How to meditate Part 1
How to meditate Part 2
How To Meditate Properly Embrace Infinity End All Suffering
Are you lost, is something missing in your life, do you want to better yourself, or do you seek enlightenment? An achievement only the few ever reach. Anyways let’s get on with how to meditate and how to do it properly.
I have spent a vast amount of valuable time on this invaluable topic. If you don’t want to spend $2000-$5000 and truly yearn for a better and new life or maybe even find the answer to your problem, then the next 15 minutes of your life could depend on it.
Did you know that roughly 6% – 8% of the world practices some form of meditation. There are thousands of well-known celebrities, successful, and influential people everywhere that meditate and some even paid a stupid and ridiculous amount of money for it. Name any ten celebrities and I bet at least two practices some form of mediation.
What hidden secrets and knowledge do these people know that you don’t? Allow me to explain why meditation is the key to practically anything from freedom, good health, wealth, success, and whatever your heart so desires without spending your hard earn money or precious time.
Here are the 3 main critical focus on this topic.
- First and foremost, meditating is not as simple as sitting cross leg and humming some noise. There are actually proper methods on how to meditate.
- Second, wouldn’t you like to know about the infinite amount of positivity and benefits that meditation has proven to give to those who practice it and be able to actually use it?
- Lastly, how to incorporate meditation into your life on a daily basis for a better body, mind, and spirit (spirit is optional).
If you can properly meditate, understand the benefits of meditation, and practice meditation daily: You will know what true freedom is (no matter where you live) and maybe just solve whatever problem(s) that’s been hurting you for so long?
1. How To Meditate (guided meditation)
I have researched some of their ways and knowledge along with other teachers and resources and they are fascinating (whether they, as a human being are good or bad, is not the focus here. Do as I say but not as I do, just like the Pharaohs of Jesus’s time).
Some questions do not have any answers. No need to get all worked up on petty matters that just bring more stress and negativity into your life.
Your mind and body are actually one, one can not work without the other. Ever heard of the expression, “A healthy body is a healthy mind” or vice-versa?
There are six popular types of meditation practiced today:
- Mindfulness meditation – You pay attention to your thoughts as they pass through your mind. You don’t judge the thoughts or become involved with them.
- Spiritual meditation – It’s similar to prayer in that you reflect on the silence around you and seek a deeper connection with your God or Universe. The most difficult type. Requires years of training and dedication. Think of monks and spiritual leader.
- Focused meditation – Involves concentration using any of the five senses. For example, you can focus on something internal, like your breath, or you can bring in external influences (energy of the universe) to help focus your attention (As a traveler, this type is not suitable for me since I need a quiet and comfortable place. However, when I settle down, focused meditation is my preferred type. I prefer my mind to be clear and empty when I meditate).
- Movement meditation – This practice may include walking through the woods, gardening, qigong, yoga, and other gentle forms of motion. It’s an active form of meditation where the movement guides you.
- Mantra meditation – This type of meditation uses a repetitive sound to clear the mind. It can be a word, phrase, or sound, such as the popular “Om.”
- Transcendental meditation – This practice is more customizable than mantra meditation, using a mantra or series of words that are specific to each practitioner and is very popular among the western world.
You can study more in-depth about each type of meditation that way you have a clear understanding of which one you may want to practice. I will only cover focused and transcendental meditation since they are the most used and well-known.
1.1 Proper Guided Meditation (movement meditation doesn’t apply to all of these)
There no is one definite correct position to meditate. One can stand, sit, kneel, lay down, and even move about. You can meditate anywhere, with or without clothing, in any weather or temperature.
The most important is how comfortable and relaxed you can be. It is easier to meditate when one is comfortable and relaxed. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.
*One can perform standing meditation if he/she is able to.
- Find a place where you are the most comfortable and there is little to no noise for distraction (The beach, outside a balcony, in the woods, etc.).
- The best times are during dawn and dusk when the Sun is at its weakest. When sunlight hits you whether it be dawn or dusk, you receive positive and uplifting energy from the sun, it makes you want to live and feel alive. Unless you like the hot Sun all over your body then go for it (Be careful, too much can give you skin cancer).
- You can meditate when you are sitting, standing or laying down but you must be very comfortable and relaxed as always. On your chair, bed, sand, grass, water, anywhere where you feel comfortable.
- For beginners you can listen to binaural beats because it uses various frequencies to help alter your brain waves to promote relaxation. These beats or cyclic pulsations are even used for treating physical rejuvenation and sleep disorder as it will help silence your conscious mind even without struggle or practice.
- I like to cross my legs like I am sitting regularly and cross my fingers to form a cup as if I’m holding water while resting my cross hand in the middle of my leg on the top with my palms facing up. When we cross our legs and fingers like so, circulating energy responds better and there is more stability. There are many position to mediate but this one is what I prefer.
- Back and Spine should be straight as possible. No leaning or slouching.
- Chin should sit straight and comfortable as if you were walking normally.
- Shoulder should be relax and naturally hang down.
- Close your eyes, clear your mind of any thoughts, positive or negative. Relax and empty your mind with nothingness. Relax, just relax, relax.
- Don’t take deep breaths or breathe so much, breath naturally through your nose. Let your body do the breathing but don’t think about it, just relax and inhale and exhale naturally without thoughts (unless the meditation requires it).
- In order to transcend the mind, one must be totally relaxed and have naturally breathing.
- Meditate twice a day for 15 to 20 minutes preferably during dawn and dusk or whenever you feel is the best time for you, even before bed is okay.
1.2 The Hardest Part of Meditation
How did your first or second or even seventh session of meditation go? Probably not very well and you probably didn’t last for more than a few minutes if not seconds. Don’t worry we’ve all been there and done that.
I mean, every dang second we think about something, ANYTHING, and many external factors like stress, health problems, anxiety, active mind, etc. only make it worse.
However, here are some extremely crucial habits that will help you to ease your mind even when you are not meditating:
- Change your diet, eat 20-24 oz of raw fruit and vegetables a day (Potatoes, corn don’t count). You don’t have to become a vegan ( an in-depth guide on how to be vegan/vegetarian ) but it will help tremendously. When you meditate you will become more compassionate, loving, and aware of ALL life around you.
- Stop eating animals or eat less meat. Scientist conducted a study on eating animals. Before an animal is executed, they release a bunch of their acidity and feelings throughout their body. You consumed that acid which is a thriving and welcoming environment for diseases and cancer. Feelings of fear, stress, panic, hatred, and frustration are created in the animal’s mind when taken to be killed, and these feelings provoke their endocrine glands to secrete certain hormones which they lodge in the tissues of the animal. We cannot see these subtle substances stored in the flesh of a dead animal, but we inevitably every time taking a dish of meat are taking a dish of fear, stress, panic, hatred, and frustration! Hence one would experience unexplained fear and stress. Wrong believes and cultural eating habits block us from linking our consumption of meat to the negative emotions which we go through. You are what you eat. If you eat bad and unhealthy then that is what you are and vice versa.
- Exercise more for a healthy mind and body. Not only does exercise increase alertness, decrease stress, improve strength, cut weight but it also helps you focus and be clear about your thoughts.
- Spend more time outdoors with nature and people. If you’re inside all day by yourself, you start thinking. Thinking isn’t bad but useless thinking can be harmful to the mind. Spending more time outdoors and with others gives your mind the ability to interact with your surrounding by making new friends, learning a new skill, admiring what mother nature can do, and how humans function on a day to day basis. I highly recommend you to travel to NEW countries and cultures!
- Cut meat, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, fried foods, bad carbs as much as possible. ( An extensive guide on how to eat properly ) I can write a book about this topic, however, to keep it short and simple these items are addicting and controlling. Every time you consume or use one of these, your brain triggers a happy feeling – dopamine, making you want to have these feelings all the time. Ever heard of drugs. Well, all those are drugs but meat. Meat also has the same effect though but it is not a substance. Have you notice how those who have mastered meditation don’t have any harmful addiction in their life. These things should be cut out completely or as much as you can, slowly of course (You can still enjoy them. Use it as a rewarding factor, not only does it make them more enjoyable but you now have a reason to do it).
- Help other people. This is self-explanatory. It feels amazing and everyone benefits.
- Be more positive in general. Positivity creates and attracts positivity.
- Cut out all negative thoughts no matter what. Let go of the past, grudges, vengeance, and hate. It poisons the mind and your judgment and it will continue to do so as long as these still linger in your mind. Replace all thoughts with positivity. Negativity begets more negativity which will bring nothing good!
- There are music beats and hymns that help you relax and focus while meditating, you can look them up on youtube.
- Meditate on an empty stomach or near empty stomach. Many have found it easier. So before breakfast and dinner is ideal.
- Practice, practice, and more meditation practice. These are the most effective ways but there are other ways to clear your mind.
No meditation technique should require paid classes or a fee, although they will assist you tremendously. Beware of false teachers and teachings. If someone wants to recruit you or teach you strange things, just politely decline and walk away.
Some will try to have you join a cult without you knowing it. Having a trained teacher will always speed up the process for anything. However, there are many ways to learn yourself if you have the time but not the money. Google and youtube are your friends, you’ll be amazed on all the free helpful guides.
2. Transcendental Meditation or TM Technique
Transcendental meditation is the most used and popular method of meditation. It’s not easier nor harder (subjective upon the individual) but is gaining more traction and popularity.
If you have an unrest mind, maybe this guided meditation is for you. After all, you get to think about one thing or word which is 1000% better than nothing at all for beginners.
Many famous celebrities use this type of meditation and people that have a busy and hectic schedule that can’t find a truly quiet place to meditate. Imagine an endless storm in the ocean, the top is violent and active however the bottom is quiet and peaceful.
Transcendental meditation is basically trying to achieve the bottom part of the ocean. There will always be random thoughts and unrestfulness in your mind. TM technique will help you to find that emptiness in your mind.
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, the great teacher from India who introduced the TM technique to the wider world, said:
2.1 Find Your Mantra or Hymn
For the TM technique, the individual needs a specific mantra – a Vedic hymn, statement or slogan repeated frequently. Your experienced teacher or mentor will find the right mantra for you to meditate to. This mantra will be in tune with your mind and body and is carter towards you for whatever desires or reason that be.
Everyone’s mantra will be different. Transcendental Meditation works because it has to do with science and how the mind works. Whether you believe in it or not it works!
Imagine gravity or inertia, it follows the laws of our Universe. Mantra follows the rule of our mind and subconscious thinking.
I.e. if you practice positivity, you will eventually be a positive person. This is what transcendental meditation is.
2.2 How To Do Transcendental Meditation ($2000-$5000 For FREE!)
When you search “how to do transcendental meditation”, don’t be surprised if you find that you have to pay a huge fee of $2000-5000! Stay away from that. It is either a cult, complete BS, or scam.
The best knowledge is priceless. The true teaching of transcendental meditation has always been free and handed down to many generations and followers. Only those who say otherwise want some sort of compensation.
Learn how to transcendental meditate in these few steps.
- Step 1. Get into your most comfortable and relax meditation position. Turn off all distracting electronic devices (except for meditation music that will help you concentrate better or a 15-20 minute timer). Clear your mind and thoughts of ANY distractions. Let your breathing come naturally, don’t think about it.
- Step 2. Choosing your mantra. What is my mantra? Your mantra could be in another language but make sure you are pronouncing it correctly. A different pronunciation could result in a different meaning thus resulting in a negative effect on your mind and body. The mantra should be kept in secret. No one needs to know what your mantra is. Do not use mantras that is not in tune with what you need. I.e. I want to work on my ability to approach people and crowds. So my mantra could be “Brave”, “Strength to overcome all”, “Stand against anything”. Your mantra could even be a sound (you probably need a teacher or a trained TM to tell you what it is). All this must be done within your mind, do not use your tongue or mouth to make any sound.
- Step 3. Repeat the mantra in your mind without force or effort. Allow it to circle in your mind at any frequency that it wants to. If you notice that you have drifted off in thought, then gently bring your attention back to repeating the mantra. If any difficult thoughts or feelings arise, simply let them go without any force or judgment and come back to the mantra in your mind (practice your mantra for however many weeks or months until you believe you have mastered or achieved your results, then you can go onto your next mantra).
- Step 4. When 15 – 20 minutes have passed stop repeating the mantra in your mind, and sit quietly without repeating the mantra for 2 – 3 more minutes before coming back into the world by opening your eyes.
- Step 5. (Optional) After months or even years of practice, you can reach a state of no thoughts. Your mind and body is relaxed, literally nothing is present. After 10 – 20 minutes this state can be achieved with dedication and extreme practice.
Easy, right? Once you’ve done it for a few weeks or months, it will become natural. Keep in mind that there are dozens of different ways to meditate and even advanced ways to meditate however find the position and type that suits you the most as a beginner.
This is no quick guide to meditation. It must be taken seriously but also naturally. Don’t expect fast results, it could take you 2 months or 2 years to achieve proper meditation in order to transcend the mind and body and be free from all thoughts, (notice I didn’t say desire because that is called enlightenment or nirvana, which requires many years of intense meditation and some never reach it).
3. Benefits of Meditation
Now that you have an idea of how to meditate. The benefits are even better! Every second and day our mind is bombarded with thousands or even millions of questions, thoughts, why, when, where, and how’s.
The human brain has been constantly evolving through millions of years from such complex thinking and actions but now we want to turn it off because it is distracting and irritating to us. Meditation is one of the solutions if not the best solution for that.
Here is a short list of the benefits that meditation has been proven to deal with and 100 other benefits. (of course, I can expand on each reason but for the length of the post and time of the viewers, I’ll keep is simple) (1) (2)
- reduced depression symptoms
- reduced somatic stress
- reduced hostility and conflicts with peers
- reduced anxiety
- reduced reactivity
- reduced substance use
- increased cognitive retention
- increased self-care
- increased optimism and positive emotions
- increased self-esteem
- increased feelings of happiness and well-being
- improved social skills
- improved sleep
- improved self-awareness
- improved academic performance
- Reduce metabolic syndrome
- Helps manage the effects of Trauma Extended longevity Lower blood pressure in at-risk teens
- Reduce atherosclerosis
- Reduce thickening of Coronary Arteries
- Reduce myocardial ischemia (
- Help manage and prevent anxiety
- Helps manage cholesterol
- Help treat epilepsy
- Helps you stop smoking
- Creates a state of deep rest in the body and mind
- Increases skin resistance
- Clarity of thinking
- improves your focus, attention, and ability to work under stress
- gives you mental strength, resilience and emotional intelligence
- Mindfulness practices decrease depression
- Meditation practices help regulate mood and anxiety disorders
Meditation helps everything within your body and mind; physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. After knowing all the luxuries that meditation has to offer, doesn’t it make you want to start right now?
Think about it, for only 30 – 40 minutes a day (you can find the time, the only thing holding you back is that excuse), you can literally become a new and better person. Why wouldn’t you want to think clearer, enjoy life more, understand how life works, forget about your stress and worries, become more positive, have a new outlook or direction in your life, control how you feel and when, and whatever beauty and change that meditating will bring you.
After all, humans have been meditating for thousands of years, why stop now?
4. How Can I Start Meditation (On a daily basis)
You may have kids, a busy life, multiple jobs, sick family members to attend to, a crumbling life, a life not worth the time to live or do anything, but who doesn’t have at least one of those problems (I used to have 3 of those problems). That is exactly why you should start mediation! This guided meditation on how to meditate was meant to help you change your life and be free.
There is no pill or magical book that’s going to make all your problems disappear by tomorrow. Meditating will definitely solve your problems but gradually. It’s best to start now before negative thoughts start telling you, “it can wait” or “I’m too busy right now” because that’s exactly what’s going to happen the longer you wait.
We know that time flies and every year only gets faster. If you just take the time to meditate for at least two months you will see results (probably after a few weeks) but after 2 months you can be sure that meditating daily won’t be such a problem because you have already been used to meditating daily and you have developed a constant schedule.
Start out maybe 10 minutes in the morning and at night. Is a TV show or checking your facebook post really more important than YOU? Every time you wake up, you need to tell yourself “I will/must meditate now” at least 20-50 times until you start meditating so subconsciously in your mind you’ll want to meditate, therefore you will.
Remember to be comfortable and relax, it will be easier to meditate that way. Try to meditate at dawn or dusk, it truly feels different and so much better. Plus mediating is not suppose to be painful or bad.
It’s meant to heal you internally and externally, for free! Or you can spend $1,000’s on doctors who will give you advice that will make you come back for more advice and fees. In fact, you’ll spend more time researching for the doctor (may not even be the correct doctor), driving to and from the place on a daily or weekly basis, having to wait in the room, and then having to listen to some advice that may or may not help you with your problems.
5. Let’s Wrap It Up
Now that you have a clear and mental understanding of what mediation is and how to meditate, will you practice it or store it in the back of your brain until it’s lost with your other junk files? I have offer you my guidance, it is up to you to receive it.
If you like this article and got something out of it, share it with your family and friends. You can even post this article on another website or your own or social media (I give you permission but please credit my website), after all, the best knowledge is priceless!
If you have more to add or say, please comment below, I would love to read your comments. I will try to answer all comments too. Thank you for taking your time reading this article.
Let’s help one another out and spread positivity, true freedom, and how to meditate properly and reap its benefits. Please give us a good star rating, it really helps us out. (It lets Google rank us better on search engines so others like you are able to find us, Thank you!)